Tuesday, January 11, 2011

How to Live

I recently started reading Montaigne's essays (as translated by Donald Frame) after reading a newly published biography of Montaigne by Sarah Bakewell titled, How to Live - or - A Life of Montaigne in One Question and Twenty Attempts at an Answer (Other Press, 2010).  She has an original take on illuminating Montaigne to present day audience by gleaning choice reflections about life from his massive book of essays.  It must have been about 30 years ago since I first and last read a few of Montaigne's essays, while a college student studying English Literature.  This time around I expect my experience reading Montaigne will be very different, more congenial with age perhaps.  I was wondering if any of you would like to read the book along with me in your spare time.  I am reminded of the aborted effort by some of us in reading and writing about War and Peace; time short and interest fags.  But as Montaigne's essays are episodic, each one is only a couple of pages long, it stands a good chance that we may be able to plow through the book in due time.  As being reported by Bakewell, generations of readers take ownership of what is congenial to him or herself in these essays, I think each of us will have something to say, about one thing or another, while reading through the book. I plan to do some of that in future postings and I hope you will too. 

No comments: