Saturday, April 16, 2011

Michel de Montaigne

I finished reading the book of Montaigne's essays a few days ago and proceeded to do a sketch of the man modeled after a portrait of him I found on Google.  The big challenge was to capture that slightly sarcastic expression (smirk?) of his.  I'm not sure why I think there is something like that there, in the muscle tension of his face, perhaps.  Or, is it just my imagination?   And, as always, I manage to age my model, whoever he/she may be.  I had originally made his forehead too wide, as Kirk pointed out to me, but I found an easy fix - turning the excess portion into his hat.  Voila!





I was wondering if anybody is going to take up Joseph's invitation to attend his 50th birthday in France.  If so, I think, it's time to start brushing up your French.  No? 

No comments: