Sunday, May 22, 2011

Swept under the rug

I recently discovered a website called "Over 50 and Out of Work" which is devoted to documenting stories of people in that particular affliction.  It's not a topic of conversation in polite society but it's almost unavoidable in today's economic reality.  So instead of sweeping it under the rug, I thought I would bring the subject up in sotto voce, of course, and see if I can get some conversation going.  I contributed a piece to their blog recently, prompted by a remark made to me by somebody at the gym after she learned that I did not work.  I was concerned that my piece might not fit the story lines of the website so I sent a copy of it to the editor to have it "vetted".  I was quite surprised when she e-mailed me back to tell me that my writing was beautiful and powerful and asked me to post it on their blog!  So far I've not received any cyber missiles and I thought I'd share it with y'all as well.  

No comments: