Wednesday, December 8, 2010

IU Mini

While shopping at the running store last weekend, we were told about the upcoming IU Mini (half) Marathon on April 2, 2011.  Kirk and I both decided to train for the race starting immediately as the training schedule for marathons usually takes about 18 weeks.  We've learned from past experience that the only way to run consistently is to train for a race. We need all the motivation we can get to run in this weather in the low teens.

I hit the road this morning for a 4-mile run.  The snow on the sidewalk has turned into ice and is especially treacherous to run on.  I had to slow down several times and walk gingerly over the ice on stretches of sidewalk.  Fortunately I didn't have any mishap. Those homeowners with houses fronting sidewalks and roads who took the trouble to clear the snow off the sidewalks did the general public, especially pedestrians, joggers, and bicyclists, a great service but they are the minority, I afraid.

Now that I have announced that I'll be running the IU Mini next April, I will have to stick to my words and do the training four days a week come rain, snow, or shine.  Wish me perseverance.   

No comments: